Wendy D. Smith

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Exciting News

Last night at work, the head of the Math Skills department, Todd, came up and asked me if I wanted to train this spring to be a Rover this summer. A Rover is somewhat a higher position in the Math Lab. They make sure everyone is where they are supposed to be and deal with more admistrative details. I was really suprized that he asked me since this is only my second full semester at LCC. Plus it will be nice to learn more about all the details and policies of the Math Lab. I find that sometimes just being an Instructor you miss out on those details. I get tired of having to find a coordinator or someone who knows all those details to help out a student. So I'm really excited about the new role!
While on the subject of work, last week I had a really cool conversation with a fellow co-worker. He came up to me and said he could see that there was something different about me --- by the way I interacted with other workers and with the students. So he knew I was a Christian. Then he proceeded to ask me how I deal with situation when someone asks "How can you know you are saved?". He explained a little more, saying that he knows he made a heartfelt decision to follow Christ years ago, but doesn't have much fruit in his life. Sometimes he doubts if his decision was really true. We didn't get to talk very much longer after that because we had to help some students, but I tried to encourage him to evaluate his decision and if he felt that it was true, then to begin taking small steps to move toward the way he would like his life to look.
Much more than math happens in the Math Lab!

2 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool story about the guy in math lab. oh, yea, welcome to the blogosphere.
steve s

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Molly D said...

That is so cool, Wendy (both the new opportunity and the chance to share Jesus). I can see how people very easily see Jesus in you. I'm so proud that you're my sister! Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger