Wendy D. Smith

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Random Thoughts from the last month

Here are some random thoughts I've had over the last month....

1. Blood Diamond
Melissa suggested this movie to Joel and me, so we all watched it together. What an amazing movie! --- one I'm glad I've seen but not sure that I want to see again -- especially while pregnant.
Seeing the children soldiers made me so thankful that Jake and Luke are growing up in the US, but made my heart ache for the moms and little boys in Africa. I'm still trying to process what I should do about that --- just pray for them.. or do something more.

2. Because it's the right thing to do
I actually got catch a live version of the message this week at Riverview. Noel spoke on good deeds and not doing them just because it's the right thing to do, but because of Jesus. His message got me thinking that I want to look for ways to help out others when it is not one of those "it's the right thing to do" situations. For example, sending someone a gift card just because --- not because they are in need or their birthday or watching kids for a mom just because it is more convenient for her than me (even if I know I will be totally exhausted by the end).

3. I have the coolest son ever!
I'm so glad that I retired from teaching. Having more time with Jakers has been so much fun. He's growing up more and more each day... taking things to the trash, learning new words, able to open higher drawers and cabinets, figuring out how doors lock and so much more. He's also said goodbye to his crib at 16 months. For the past four days, he has taken all his naps and slept in his big boy bed every night. He made the transition very smoothly. I actually put the crib mattress back up to its highest position tonight... bye bye Jake's crib, hello Luke's crib.

4. Melissa
In November, Joel and I welcomed a new member into our house --- Melissa, a 22 year old college student. I absolutely love having her in our home! For one, it's nice to have another female around since I'm surrounded by boys. But I love that fact that she loves Jakers and the dogs and fits great into our family. She was even brave enough to take both dogs to the park today! It will be a sad, sad day whenever she leaves us!

I think that's all the thoughts I had... who knows with this pregnancy brain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger