Wendy D. Smith

Friday, April 29, 2005

Never part of the Cool Crowd

Remember back in middle school and high school when you had to wear Gap or Buckle jeans. Has that really gone away? I've found that it hasn't.

I've come to realize that no matter how hard I try(if I were to try), I'll never be part of the cool crowd. Mostly because I really don't like the things that the cool crowd likes.

I'm not a fan of Seinfeld, Simpsons or the Family Guy. I'd prefer to watch old Disney movies and listen to country music than watch Napoleon dynamite or listen to the latest band. I've come to realize that the things that I really enjoy, not many people do. I'm the person who usually likes whatever everyone else is making fun of. For example, we'll be hanging out with family or friends and someone flips the channel past something I'd like to watch, but I keep my mouth shut because start to make fun of it. For a while this really bothered me. I kept thinking to myself, "If I'm willing to try to enjoy what everyone else likes, when will it be time for everyone else to try to enjoy what I like." But that world just doesn't work like that. So, I enjoy what I enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy.

You better watch out if you spy on me when I'm home by myself, because you might just find me blaring country on the radio or singing along with a Disney movie.

3 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Wendy...I like you just the way you are. I think the world would be a better place if more of us enjoyed the simple, innocent things that you like. So in my book...you ARE cool! And I love you for the person you are.

"Mama" Karen

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

I think after this post, everyone thought that I was having self-esteem issues. But actually I was thinking about something Noel talked about several weeks ago --- about how we have these ranking systems in our head and automatically judge others by those systems. My post was more just stating the observation that I've seen this happen in my own life, even by people who do really care about me.
In some ways it was a reminder to myself that I should watch the comments that I make about things because I may just be judging others.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Mel said...

I don't know about the country music, but I totally agree with you, and I'm not too sure it has anything to do with self-esteem either. I understand where you are coming from. In fact, I wasn't even going to comment, until I thought of this entry a second time around, and showed my husband tonight. People are so different, why do we all want to be the same?

PS Country is huge here in St. Johns when I was in high school anyways. I was always the odd one because I didn't listen to country. Talk about opposite situations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger