Wendy D. Smith

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Women of Faith

This weekend I went with several other girls from Riverview to a Women of Faith conference. There's a core team of about 6 ladies in their 50s to 60s that run women of faith. It was very easy to tell that they really love Jesus and really love each other.
But before I went to the conference, I started reading "Searching for God Knows What" by Donald Miller (the guy who wrote "Blue Like Jazz"). In his book, he was discussing how we tend to go to the Bible like a self help book. Here's my problem. Tell me a story to make me feel better. Then give me three things to do to change my life. But the Bible doesn't read like that.
Back then to the conference. So I'm sitting listening to these women speak and most of them are telling stories, getting us emotional hooked and then giving several points for us to work on or change. Now what they had to say might not have been bad, but because of what I had been thinking about, it wasn't as profitable as I might have hoped.
I guess part of me is really longing to open up the Bible to study a book deeply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger